Wednesday, July 21, 2010

9mm Crafting: Pistol Mag Cozy Tutorial

I have entered a whole new genre in crafting. I have crafted lots of things in my time. I have made things for babies. kids, moms, dads. I have made practical items and things just for fun. I have sewed, hot glued, scrapbooked, painted, and more. Today, I made something I never imagined I would make. I didn't really want to make it. I mean, it wasn't my idea. Perhaps I've found my new niche.


Presenting my Pistol Mag Cozy!
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
Yep. Pistol. As in shooting. Bullets. Bang. Bang.
*
If you are not familiar with pistol shooting, a mag (magazine) is a black cartridge that holds several bullets. The cartridge slides into the handle grip of the gun.several bullets. The cartridge slides into the handle of the gun.
My hubs is WAAAAYY into pistol shooting these days and this project was his request. The Mag Cozy is based on a crayon roll that he saw me making before Christmas alst year. He asked me to make him a "roll" that he could put his mags in. Reluctantly, I agreed.
*
Just in case you need a gift for the pistol shooting enthusiast in your life, here is a tutorial....


You will need:
-Two 18" x 9" pieces of medium/heavy weight fabric
(these will be the outside and inside of the cozy)
-One 18" x 9" piece of medium weight fusible interfacing
-One 18" x 10" piece light/medium weight of coordinating fabric
(this will be the pocket on the cozy)
-24" Length of ribbon



Apply the interfacing to the wrong side of the outside piece of fabric. Set aside.



Fold the pocket fabric in half lengthwise with right sides facing out. Press.



Pin the pocket piece to the bottom of the right side of inside piece of fabric.
*



Measure 1.5" from one side of the pocket and mark. Then make a mark every 2.5".
*



Stitch the pocket to the inside fabric at every mark. Be sure to back stitch at the top of the pocket. Now you have made slots on the divided pocket.



Fold the ribbon in half and place on the right side of the pocket. Make sure the folded end hangs over the side just a bit.



Place the interfaced fabric on top of the pocket and ribbon, right sides facing each other. The ribbon should be sandwiched between the two pieces of fabric.





Pin around and sew together with a 1/2" seam allowance all around. Leave a 4" opening on one of the long sides to turn out. Also, be sure to stitch the end of the ribbon.


Turn out. Trim the corners and the excess. Push the corners out. Press.
*



Top stitch all way around, making sure to close the opening used for turning out.





Your cozy should look like this!




This was the first cozy I made. I know the fabric is kinda girly. But, beggars can't be choosers!









I learned from my mistakes on this first cozy. I made the slots on the pocket too wide, therefore, the entire cozy was very large. I had to make the slots smaller by adding some fancy and creative stitch work. If you look closely in the photo above, you can see the stitches in between each mag slot. Fortunately, I was able to make it look like I did it on purpose.



Shhh. Don't tell!



3 comments:

  1. This should have been a must have for Angelina Jollie in Salt.
    Very Nice,
    Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVE that you sew. I never would have imagined Lauren circa 1994 sewing. But I must say, I am not surprised that while you are sewing, you are sewing mag coozies. Classic. I have always loved that about you- you totally surprise me.

    PS, when are you going to be in the Phoenix area? I simply must see you again.

    ReplyDelete