Sunday, July 18, 2010

Potty Training Blues

I'm sitting in my family room as I type this with a naked toddler playing at my feet. Naked as a jay-bird. We are potty training. Up until now I have been avoiding it like the plague. I was hoping that my son would just potty train himself. He could wear diapers for the next 1-2 years and then start going to the bathroom on his own and I would never have to be involved. Society has pressured me into being involved. Fortunately, David's preschool potty trains as well. That means I don't have to bear the whole weight of this issue.

David has been interested in the potty for some time now. We would put him on the toilet about once a day. Sometimes he would make a little pee-pee. Sometimes nothing. What we are working on now is teaching David to know when he needs to potty.

I'm hoping this stage doesn't take long. I have visions of driving in the car or being at the supermarket with a basket full of groceries when I hear the words, "Mommy, I have to go potty. NOW!" The thought of it makes me break out in a cold sweat.

My little boy is growing up. I'm not diggin' this now, but in a few years I will long for this time again.

No comments:

Post a Comment