Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Cooking With Elk Meat: Pasta With Meat Sauce

My freezer packed with elk meat.



The Elk Meat Sauce is a cookin'!

I grew up in the city. My dad was not a hunter. So, deer, elk, and javelina are not meats that I have been accustomed to eating. That. Has. Changed. The hubs just slayed his first elk in November and we have 303 pounds of elk meat to prove it. I'm not buying a deep freeze, so my freezer is packed to the gills and we have been offering elk meat to everyone we know. But, with all this meat in my own freezer, it was inevitable that I would have to cook and/or eat some.
#
So, I am introducing a a new series on my blog that I am calling "Cooking With Elk Meat". I will document the cooking and eating of the 300+ pounds of elk meat that is now in my life. And my freezer.
#
Today I am making Pasta with Elk Meat Sauce...
#
Note: This makes a very large batch of sauce! Recipe can be made smaller by reducing ingredients by half. And if you are not lucky enough to have some elk meat on hand, just use ground sirloin.
#
2 pounds ground elk meat
2 large cans of crushed tomatoes
2 large cans of tomato sauce
2-4 tsp. chopped garlic (2-4 cloves, chopped)
2 small cans (2.25oz) sliced olives (drained)
2 tbsp. A1 Steak Sauce
3 green bell peppers
8 sliced mushrooms
Italian seasoning
3 bay leaves
#
1. Brown meat with garlic in a large skillet.
2. Pour can of tomatoes/tomato sauce into large crock-pot.
3. Add browned meat to tomatoes.
4. Chop or dice green bell peppers and slice mushrooms.
5. Cook green bell peppers and mushrooms in skillet on medium for 5 minutes.
6. Add green bell peppers, mushrooms, and olives to crock-pot.
7. Stir in bay leaves, seasonings, and A1 Steak Sauce.
8. Cook in crock-pot on high for 4-6 hours, or low 8-10 hours.
9. Serve over your favorite type of cooked pasta.
**Update: I made this AND ate it. It was good. But, for the record I could taste the difference between the elk meat and ground beef.

No comments:

Post a Comment