Thursday, June 2, 2011

Anyone Other Than Me? {My Story: No Apologies}

Could I have been
A parking lot attendant
Could I have been
A millionaire in Bel Air
Could I have been Lost somewhere in Paris
Could I have been
Your little brother
Could I have been
Anyone other than me
Could I have been
Anyone other than me
Could I have been
Anyone other than me
Could I have been
Anyone
-Lyrics from Dancing Nancies Dave Matthews Band


Anyone who has known me for about 5 seconds knows I love Dave Matthews Band.  Or Dave Matthews solo.  Or Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds.

I digress.

I was listening to my man, Dave, it was a live track, and I was rockin' out.  Singing the lyrics at the top of my lungs, out of tune, mind you, I couldn't help but think: Could I have been a millionaire in Bel Air?  Could I have been lost somewhere in Paris? Could I have been your little brother?  Obviously that last one, is not really possible, but you get the idea.  Could I have been anyone other than me?

I would really hate to think of a world without a Lauren Gross.  That would be a sad, sad place.  Luckily for all of you, that's not the case.  While I suppose I could have taken a different path in life, I would still be the same ol' me.  And, right now, I am satisfied with who I am.  I mean, with the exception of the baby weight I carry (even though I never got pregnant or gave birth) and my addiction to Coca-Cola, I am pretty awesome.

I am me.

I have a story. 

And I'm not apologizing for who I am.

I will not apologize for being a parent.  I will not apologize for how I raise my child.  Not for the choices I make with my time or my money.  Not for the choices I make as an adult, a wife, or mother.  I will not apologize for trusting in my God.  I will not apologize for having a hope because of Jesus.  Not for where I go.   Not for where my husband goes.  Not for the time we spend apart or the time we spend with our son as a family.  I will not apologize for the life I live.  I will not apologize for the things people think they know about me or my life.  I will not apologize for trying to be the best mom/wife/friend/teacher/person I can be and making a million and half mistakes while doing it.  I will not apologize for being awesome, for being lame, for being a hypocrite, for being right, for being wrong, or for being forgiven.  Because I am all of that and more.

That's me, folks.  Love it or leave it.  Really, you'll want to love it.  You won't be able to resist.

And no one knows me, my son, my husband, or my story like I know it.

And I will be the one to tell my story.       

post signature

3 comments:

  1. I really like this post!! I, of course, know who the Dave Matthews Band is but I can't say I really "know" their songs so these lyrics were knew to me...and I like them! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love DMB too and I think this post is so good. Very important; sometimes we are made to feel guilty by people who truly have no clue and we need to speak those words aloud to really come to grips that it's not their opinions that count.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heart Lauren Gross. Rock on sister!

    ReplyDelete